I bought some gorgeous drapey fabric from Birmingham Rag Market last month and knew I wanted to make some camisole tops from it. There are two patterns in one of the Great British Sewing Bee books that I thought would be suitable, one for a sleeveless top and the other for a camisole top. I decided to try the sleeveless top first as I thought it would make an ideal top for work.
I cut out the front and the back on the fold as I didn’t want a seam at the back like the pattern states. I also altered the necklines slightly as I didn’t want it as high at the front or back. I started to sew it together as per the instructions but realised after completing the neckline that because I didn’t have a seam at the back I couldn’t turn it right side out if I stitched the facing to the bodice at the armholes. I decided that the best thing to do was sew the side seams and bind or hand stitch the armholes closed.
I tried it on when the side seams were done and realised that the back bodice gaped massively at the top. Because of this I decided to unpick the sides and cut the back to make seam, that way I could do the facing properly and make the fit better at the back. This worked so well and I am so pleased with the final fit. I just need to alter the pattern at the back and make sure I sew the side seams and armholes before the shoulders for my next one.
Can’t wait to wear it to work on Monday and make some more with the other fabric that I bought.
In other news, I ordered a notebook and pens this week to start a bullet journal to organise my sewing, so will let you know soon how I get on with that!