Hello, it’s been a while since I have written a blog post. It feels like I made my Rosa dress months ago but end of term craziness and tiredness has meant that even though I have been sewing I just haven’t got round to writing about them.
The first make I want to show you is another cami top. I am trying out different versions of the cami top pattern in the Great British Sewing Bee book. This time I kept the front neckline the same but made the back into a deep ‘V’. I also tried to scoop the hem at the front and the back. I used some Girl Charlee jersey which I found at the Sewing For Pleasure show back March!
After sewing the front and back together I bound the two neckline with bias from the same fabric. It was the first time I had sewn a bias on a ‘V’ neckline but it went so smoothly. I decided to stitch it on with a straight stitch on my machine rather than my overlocker as in my last cami I think the overlocker caused me to over stretch the neck and armholes. This was particularly lightweight jersey and so I was nervous of this happening again. To make the ‘V’ I just put a few stitches in the bias to pinch it right sides together at the centre point.
To make the straps I cut out a length of bias 19″ long. I sewed them on in the same way as the binding on the neckline starting under the arms and looping round to join at the starting point. Once I had sewn them both on and tried it on I realised that I had made the straps too short and so the back was pulling up and distorting the shape. After a lot of unpicking I replaced them with straps that were at least 3″ longer and so now it fits much better.
Final step was to hem and now I have another summer cami to take on my holidays. Holiday wardrobe is coming along nicely!